Impact of Geology in Everyday Lives
Geology is all around us and has an immense impact on your everyday life. The following points will open your eyes and help you understand its role.
- All the raw material comes from mother Earth. All the metals have to be excavated which are present in minerals as oxides, sulfates, sulfides or as native elements.
- The electricity that currently is charging your laptop or any electrical appliance for that matter has to be generated somewhere. It is generated in thermal power plants which use coal, Hydro power plants which use the potential and kinetic energy of water or solar energy which uses the solar irradiance.
- Oil & Gas has clearly brought a major change in our lives by fueling our vehicles, large ships, aeroplanes, and trains. It also provides byproducts like petroleum jelly.
- Remote sensing is an important subject in geology which deals with satellites that provide the information about weather and climate. These satellites also help in tracking the activity in sensitive areas for defense purposes. They help us in GPS, Cyclone tracking and Precipitation estimation.
- The quartz in your watch has a unique property of piezoelectricity in which when pressure is applied on its polar poles of the crystal of quartz, one side becomes positive and other side becomes negative.
- Glass is made from silica sand which is provided by beach sand or fluvial sand. Cement needs gypsum, limestone and other materials. Building stones are dimension stones which are granite’s, basalt’s etc.
- The water source is important for using it for Wine and whiskey manufacturing. It is said that water from granitic terrain is rich in iron which makes them favorable for making wine and whiskey.
- The talcum powder that you apply on your body contains minerals like talc which is the softest mineral in Moh’s scale of hardness.
- Ground water has become an important source of water in urban areas. In some areas, there is a high amount of fluoride in it which results into tooth fluorosis or skeletal fluorosis.
Geology is everywhere.
Join geologyfreak facebook page here